Oh, my 2016…
You were kind to me,
You were patient with me, too.
You offered great clarity and even opened my heart when I didn’t realize it needed to be.
You, 2016, were awesome.
Yep, its that time where your timeline is inevitably filled with year end recaps and high hopes for the year to come. And while some of y’all like to hate on people setting goals for the new year, I on the other hand am rooting for my fellow goal-setters.
I think it’s important to close a season of your life and look onward with hopes to improve where you see fit.
Ya’ll know that meme circulating about how trash 2016 was? Im sorry, but I can’t relate (Politics aside of course). For me, this year was goal filled, and all-around great!
This year I:
- I traveled with friends to Brooklyn for AfroPunk
- Went River Rafting for the first time
- Went to the beach for the first time
- I acted in 2 productions for professional theaters
- Started a new hobby (photography)
- I mastered using my planner for daily life
- Cooked more at home
- Revisited my yoga practice
- Ran my second 5k
- Participated in Wanderlust (mind/body triathlon)
- Completed 3 more books than I did in 2015
- Quit a job that wasn’t emotionally healthy for me
- Took on a new work role
- Taught myself to play a song on my guitar (so what if it’s only twinkle, twinkle little star)
- Celebrated my 25th birthday (cheers to my fellow #QuarterCenturyLiving folks out there!)
I already have my 2017 planner and have begun setting my goals for tomorrow. As I write this, I am thinking of whats most important to me– self-awareness. You have to know yourself, and be honest with yourself in order to make SMART goals you can achieve.
So, I wish you all a happy new year! I hope that you realize the power of self-dominance you contain as you transition into the future. Speak life into your situations, and be realistic. I am spending the last day of 2016 with some of my family in STL and I hope you enjoy your’s!
What are your goals for 2017?
Peace and love!